1275 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065
- Deputy Chief and Attending, Thoracic Service Dr. Prasad S. Adusumilli
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Overview
The Sloan Kettering Institute was established in the 1940s by General Motors’ Alfred P. Sloan and Charles F. Kettering as a philanthropic initiative with the goal of conducting leading research to combat cancer.
Years later, in 1980, the hospital and the institute merged into the unified institution of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in order to combine resources and continue to provide world-class care for cancer patients and their families, while supporting pioneering research and medical advances.
Patient Care at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
For more than 25 years, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center has ranked in the top two hospitals in the nation for their cancer care, according to US News & World Report. In 2015, the center had more doctors recognized by the Best Doctors issue of New York Magazine than any other hospital in New York City.
It’s easy to see that patient care is of the utmost importance at Memorial Sloan Kettering. The center has multidisciplinary cancer care teams who collaborate with expert specialists to ensure all patients receive personalized care and advanced treatment.
The following types of medical professionals can be part of a patient’s care team at Memorial Sloan Kettering:
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
Customized care is a high priority at Memorial Sloan Kettering. The experts at the center acknowledge that no two patients are the same and that what treatment plan is best for one patient may be completely different from what is best for another patient.
At Memorial Sloan Kettering, you can count on a higher level of care and more advanced technology and field expertise than you’d find at the average hospital.
Some of the care advantages that Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center offers are:
- Advanced diagnostic tools: The radiologists at Memorial Sloan Kettering utilize some of the latest and most advanced imaging technologies to diagnose cancer. The center’s pathologists have vast experience and knowledge to draw on so that diagnosis is extremely precise and accurate.
- World-class surgeons: The surgeons at Memorial Sloan Kettering perform a higher number of cancer operations than surgeons at any other hospital in the United States. They specialize in cancer operations, giving them the relevant experience and expertise to provide cancer patients with unmatched proficiency and skill during their surgical procedures.
- Innovative radiation oncology: Memorial Sloan Kettering’s radiation oncologists are in the process of developing and implementing brand new technologies and methods for more effective radiation therapy. They were at the forefront of the development of intensity-modulated radiation therapy, which allows for safer delivery of higher dosages of radiation to cancer patients, with less damage to healthy tissue.
- Chemotherapy innovation: The medical oncologists at the center are leading developments of innovative new chemotherapy drugs to more safely and effectively target cancer. They often combine chemotherapy with immunotherapy or vaccines to provide more effective treatment options.
- Exceptional nursing training: Memorial Sloan Kettering’s nurses are specially trained to provide a high level of care to cancer patients and are a critical part of a patient’s care team. They deliver care with compassion and put the patient first while focusing specifically on nursing oncology so they can provide the advantages of specialized care.
- Complete supportive care: in addition to medical care, Memorial Sloan Kettering has a comprehensive team of support care staff to provide counseling, rehabilitation, integrative medicine/complementary therapies, and pain management, as well as much more. There are a variety of programs offered to help cancer patients navigate the additional obstacles outside of cancer treatment.
Mesothelioma at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
“We’ve found there’s almost always something that can be done for people with mesothelioma who come to us, even if others told them they’re out of options.” — Valerie W. Rusch | Thoracic Surgeon, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is a hospital that sees some of the highest volumes of mesothelioma patients in the nation. As a result, the mesothelioma team at the center can rely on their expertise to provide more accurate diagnoses and more specialized treatment options. All the mesothelioma experts at Memorial Sloan Kettering work together to combine their knowledge and deliver the best clinical trial recommendations, strategic treatment plans, and tailored care to mesothelioma patients. Your mesothelioma care team will be truly dedicated to your success, improvement, and comfort.
Mesothelioma patients at Memorial Sloan Kettering also benefit from the extensive mesothelioma research conducted at the center, which leads to leading-edge radiation therapy opportunities and additional innovative methods to diagnose and treat mesothelioma. The center also offers comprehensive follow-up care and survivorship programs for those who have received treatment for mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma Specialists at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, the mesothelioma specialists and experts are globally recognized for their trailblazing methods and high standards for diagnosing and treating mesothelioma.
As a patient at the center, you’ll have access to a dedicated specialist team who will work tirelessly to create a personalized care plan that best suits your individual needs. Your team will be made up of mesothelioma experts in the fields of surgery, medical oncology, radiation oncology, pathology, nursing, and social work. Having such a diversified team ensures that your care is comprehensive, all-encompassing, and well-rounded—and that all your needs as a patient are met.
Surgery (Pleural Mesothelioma)
- James M. Isbell
- Daniela Molena
- Matthew Bott
- Prasad S. Adusumilli
- Bernard J. Park
- Valerie W. Rusch
- Smita Sihag
Medical Oncology (Pleural Mesothelioma)
- Azadeh Namakydoust
- Marjorie G. Zauderer
Radiation Oncology (Pleural Mesothelioma)
- Andreas Rimner
- Abraham J. Wu
Radiology (Pleural Mesothelioma)
- Michelle S. Ginsberg
- Andrew J. Plodkowski
- Marc Ladanyi
- Jennifer L. Sauter
- William D. Travis
Surgery (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)
- Garrett M. Nash
- Smita Sihag
Medical Oncology (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)
- Andrea Cercek
- Azadeh Namakydoust
Radiology (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)
- Andrew J. Plodkowski
Radiation Oncology (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)
- Abraham J. Wu
- Liz Blackler
- Linda Mathew
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
“As a mesothelioma patient at Memorial Sloan Kettering — regardless of the stage of your disease — there will likely be a clinical trial option for you.”
Due to the cutting-edge mesothelioma research being conducted at Memorial Sloan Kettering, the center is privy to the latest developments and scientific breakthroughs related to mesothelioma. The center is involved in the constant testing of new treatment possibilities, and so patients at Memorial Sloan Kettering have access to a unique range of promising clinical trials.
The experts at the center hope to find new treatments that not only fight mesothelioma more effectively but are also safer and have less damaging side effects.
Some of the new treatment options being explored at the center include:
- Tumor vaccines
- Antibody therapies
- T cell-based treatments
- Molecularly targeted drugs
- Anticancer viruses