About the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
Science and research is a driving force at the Moffitt Cancer Center and all staff, from physicians to research scientists, are dedicated to developing better treatments for cancer patients. Moffitt Cancer Center has five core research areas: cancer biology evolution, cancer epidemiology, chemical biology and molecular medicine, immunology, and health outcomes and behavior.
Center Location & Overview
- Non-profit cancer center located in Tampa, FL
- Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center by NCI since 2001
- Extensive range of supplemental cancer therapies, including massage and pet therapy
- Mesothelioma program treats pleural, peritoneal, and pericardial subtypes
Patient Experience at Moffitt Cancer Center
New patients to H. Lee Moffitt Cancer can expect to be assigned a primary oncologist or surgeon who will take the lead for their care. During the first appointment, this lead oncologist will review the patient history, complete a thorough examination, and make preliminary recommendations.
Moffitt Cancer Center uses patients’ genes, called genomics, to evaluate and determine the best course of action for every cancer patient. The result is personalized treatment plans that are predicted to result in the best possible outcome. In addition, each person who participates in this diagnosis process helps research scientists better understand genomics and potential outcomes for other patients. Therefore, this highly effective system becomes stronger and more accurate over time.
If surgery or other treatment is required, the lead oncologist will meet with the patient to discuss their options and recommendations. All patients are encouraged to ask questions until they understand the information and ideas being shared.
Moffitt also has a Patient Portal where patients can prepare for their appointment, communicate with their care providers, make prescription requests, see lab results, access their completely medical records, and more. This Portal is a highly convenient way for patients to keep their records up-to-date.
In addition to traditional cancer care, Moffit Cancer Center offers a range of integrative wellness treatments that can help improve patient health and quality of life. These services include massage, meditation, acupuncture, and yoga. Pet therapy is also available three times a week, allowing patients to benefit from the love and friendship of visiting dogs.
Because Moffitt sees patients from all over the world, the cancer center utilizes the latest interpretation technology, which can provide services in 180 different languages, 24/7. The center also has Spanish interpreters located in-house and can arrange for American Sign Language interpretation as well.
For their convenience, cancer patients receive complimentary valet parking at the Magnolia campus.
Mesothelioma Program at Moffitt Cancer Center
The mesothelioma program at Moffitt Cancer Center treats pleural, peritoneal and pericardial mesothelioma, with no referrals required.
Like many leading mesothelioma centers, Moffitt takes a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosing and treating mesothelioma. Their regular team includes surgical, medical and radiation oncologists, radiologists, nurses, and a wide range of medical and social support staff.
Each mesothelioma patient who attends Moffitt Cancer Center will receive an individually tailored treatment plan that considers their specific circumstance. These treatments typically combine surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, and may also include immunotherapy, and mesothelioma vaccination.
Mesothelioma Doctors at Moffitt Cancer Center
- Dr. Scott Antonia
- Dr. Michael Fradley
- Dr. Alberto Chiappori
- Dr. Benjamin Creelan
- Dr. Jhanelle Gray
- Dr. Eric Haura
- Dr. Michael Shafique
- Dr. Tawee Tanvetyanon
- Dr. Charles Williams Jr.
- Dr. Soner Altiok
- Dr. Farah Khalil
- Dr. Prudence Smith
- Dr. W. Alberts
- Dr. Jennifer Xoc
- Dr. Frank Kaszuba
- Dr. Thomas Dilling
- Dr. Bradford Perez
- Dr. Jacques-Pierre Fontaine
- Dr. Robert Keenan
- Dr. Lary Robinson
- Dr. Eric Toloza
Mesothelioma Treatment Options at Moffitt Cancer Center
Moffitt Cancer Center treats all three forms of mesothelioma, using a team of oncologists and specialists who have dedicated their career to treating the rare disease. Treatment is determined for each patient on an individual basis and may include:
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP): In this pleural mesothelioma treatment, Moffitt surgeons will remove a patient’s lung, the lining of the heart and lungs, and some of the diaphragm. Though this surgery is a serious endeavor, it has been proven to improve length and quality of life.
- Pleurectomy/decortication (P/D): Moffitt surgeons are highly skilled with P/D, a more recent surgical option for pleural mesothelioma. In P/D, a specialist will remove all visible signs of the tumor, while leaving the lung intact.
- Robotic-assisted surgery: This minimally invasive surgical technique is used whenever possible, as it can speed up patient recovery and minimize the chance of complications.
- Heated intraoperative peritoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC): Also known as heated chemotherapy, HIPEC is a peritoneal mesothelioma treatment in which the abdomen and organs are soaked in a warmed chemotherapy solution. This method applies chemotherapy directly to the affected area of the body and is meant to target microscopic cancer cells that would otherwise be left behind. HIPEC is commonly used in conjunction with surgery and radiation therapy.http://mesotheliomahelpnow.com/treatment/surgery/peritoneal/cytoreduction-hipec/
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) / Tomotherapy: With IMRT, Moffitt’s radiation oncologists apply high-energy beams directly to an affected area. This radiation can help shrink and sometimes destroy mesothelioma tumors. Moffitt can use computed tomography, known more commonly as CT scans, to deliver this IMRT procedure.
- Brachytherapy: An alternative form of radiation, brachytherapy places a sealed source of radiation directly next to a tumor. The result is high doses of radiation applied directly to an affected area. In some cancer cases, brachytherapy has been as effective as surgery would have been.
- Chemotherapy: Traditional chemotherapy, in the form of an intravenous infusion or pill, can sometimes be effective in treating mesothelioma. Medical oncologists at Moffitt will closely evaluate each patient and determine their best course of action. Common mesothelioma chemo treatments include Alimta, or a combination of gemcitabine, cisplatin, or carboplatin.
- Supplementary Therapies: Moffitt recognizes that wellness goes beyond traditional medicine and offers a wide range of supplemental therapies for cancer patients, including yoga, massage therapy, nutrition guidance, yoga, and animal-assisted therapy.
Clinical Trials, Studies & Research at Moffitt Cancer Center
As a dedicated research facility, Moffitt Cancer Center can often offer mesothelioma patients innovative treatment options through clinical trials. Moffitt is one of the several hospitals across the nation that frequently develops and deploys clinical trials that test new treatments, medications, tests, and therapies to combat mesothelioma. Moffitt Cancer Center is working towards the eventual cure of mesothelioma.
Moffitt Cancer Center is currently running several active clinical trials for mesothelioma, including drug and biological treatments. The drug trials are testing the effectiveness of several new pharmaceuticals, while the biological trials are evaluating various immunotherapy options.
Mesothelioma patients who would like to participate in a clinical trial should speak to a mesothelioma oncologist at Moffitt Cancer Center.
Insurance Information at Moffitt Cancer Center
Moffitt Cancer Center accepts the majority of insurance plans and actively works with insurance providers to improve coverage on an ongoing basis. Patients can receive the most accurate and up-to-date insurance information by contacting the Moffitt Patient Appointment Center at 1-888-663-3488 or 1-813-745-3980.
Insurance plans accepted at Moffitt Cancer Center include:
- Beech Street PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida / Florida Blue
- Capital Health Plan
- Children’s Medical Services Ped-I-Care
- Coventry Health Care
- Employers Healthcare Network
- Evolutions Healthcare System
- First Health
- Great-West Healthcare
- Gulf Coast Provider Network
- Health First
- Hillsborough County Health Care Plan
- LifeTrac Transplant Network
- Neighborhood Health Partnership
- Prime Health Services Network
- Private Healthcare Systems
- Quality Health Management
- Summit Health Plan
- Tethys Health Ventures
- United Healthcare
- Volusia Health Network
Moffitt Cancer Center’s Mission Statement & Values
Moffitt Cancer Center believes that their diverse employees, with a variety of medical backgrounds, are critical to the prevention and eventual cure of cancer. The center is a strong advocate for inclusion and diversity, welcoming people from all walks of life.
The Cancer Center has committed to serving the LGBTQ community in both care and research, and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation as designated them as a “Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality” for several consecutive years. This is just one example of how Moffitt Cancer Center is dedicated to treating all individuals and will help any individual in their fight with cancer.