Speak with our patient care advocates to get paired with the best doctorsAvailable for Chat
About MD Anderson Cancer Center
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MD Anderson) was established in 1941 as a free-standing medical center within the university. It is home to one of the country’s largest and most developed cancer treatment programs.
MD Anderson Cancer Center has an outstanding reputation within the global medical community. It is one of the three comprehensive cancer centers first designated by 1971’s National Cancer Act, which also established The National Cancer Institute (NCI).
Headed by president Dr. Peter WT Pisters, the center prides itself on rapidly turning scientific knowledge into better treatment and prevention for cancer patients.
“For more than 80 years, MD Anderson has changed the world by bringing life-saving innovation from research labs into the homes and hearts of millions.”
MD Anderson’s world-renowned physicians are extensively trained specialists who focus on one type of cancer and one particular treatment, which allows for unmatched expertise in specialties. This can be especially important with cancer as rare and aggressive as mesothelioma.
Fast Facts – MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Treats more than 122,000 patients each year in its Houston facility.
- Ranked #1 in cancer care by U.S. News and World Report.
- Consistently ranked one of the two best hospitals in cancer care since 1990, when U.S. News & World Report began its annual “America’s Best Hospitals” rankings.
- 100% of its surgeons are trained in oncology, compared with 30% in community hospitals.
- World-renowned for developing and using frontline diagnostic technology.
- More nurses per patient than many of the nation’s hospitals.
- Accredited by the Joint Commission consistently since 1951.
- Launched its Moon Shots Program in 2012 dedicated to finding scientific breakthroughs to reduce cancer deaths significantly.
- Affiliated with UTHealth Houston Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences to support research programs into life-saving cancer treatment.
For information on mesothelioma treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Center Houston or other top cancer treatment centers in the United States of America, order our Free Mesothelioma Guide right now.
MD Anderson Cancer Center Patient Experience
At MD Anderson, the quality of care available to mesothelioma patients is unparalleled.
At this world-class facility, the patient experience is consistently assessed, measured, and improved upon in any way possible.
A team sees patients of doctors and health care providers, each having expertise in treating mesothelioma.
MD Anderson also has licensed clinical social workers who can provide counseling, support group facilitation, resources, and other supportive services for patients. This high-level medical and social work staff combination allows patients a complete and well-rounded care experience.
MD Anderson patient care fast facts:
- In 2021, MD Anderson provided care for almost 175,000 patients
- The center has helped 1.8 million patients since 1944
- The center provided over $314 million in uncompensated care for Texans without sufficient insurance in 2021
Mesothelioma Program at MD Anderson Cancer Center
Mesothelioma patients are treated through MD Anderson’s Mesothelioma Program in the Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, led by Dr. Anne S. Tsao.
The following MD Anderson locations offer mesothelioma treatment:
- MD Anderson League City
- MD Anderson in Sugar Land
- MD Anderson West Houston
- MD Anderson the Woodlands
- Thoracic Center
Patients are treated by doctors and other health care providers with expertise in treating mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma Treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Center
MD Anderson Cancer Center is the vanguard of mesothelioma treatment, providing some of the most advanced treatment options available.
MD Anderson is home to one of the world’s largest cancer clinical trials programs.
The experts at MD Anderson provide tailored treatment plans that aim not only at improving prognosis but also at improving lung function and maintaining a high quality of life for all patients.
Mesothelioma treatment will depend on factors such as:
Treatment options offered at MD Anderson for mesothelioma may include advanced surgical techniques, targeted radiation therapy, and immunotherapy drugs.
Mesothelioma Treatment Options
The mesothelioma specialists at MD Anderson will provide personalized treatment recommendations based on the patient’s circumstances.
Mesothelioma treatment at MD Anderson may include:
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP): An extensive surgery that removes the entire lining of the lung, along with the lung closest to the cancer tumors.
- Pleurectomy/decortication (P/D): Surgery that removes the affected parts of the lung lining while leaving both lungs in place, allowing patients to recover faster and have a higher quality of life post-surgery.
- Radiation therapy: Treatment usually used after surgery to kill cancer cells that were not visible during the procedure. It may also be used as a palliative treatment to reduce pain.
- Chemotherapy: This can be used independently or as part of a multimodal approach. Chemotherapy involves delivering cancer-killing medicine into the body. It is the primary treatment for mesothelioma patients who are not eligible for surgery.
- Targeted therapy: Treatment that works on the cellular level interferes with cancer-causing genes to stop or slow cancer from growing or spreading.
- Immunotherapy: Medications that boost the immune system to help it eliminate cancer. This treatment may include immune checkpoint therapy.
MD Anderson Mesothelioma Doctors
Working with knowledgeable mesothelioma doctors at MD Anderson Cancer Center gives patients the best advice and treatment.
Your team of mesothelioma doctors may include medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, pulmonologists, pathologists, and other health care providers. Each is an expert in their field and mesothelioma.
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons
- Dr. Mara Antonoff
- Dr. Wayne Hofstetter
- Dr. Sophia Khan
- Dr. Reza Mehran
- Dr. Ravi Rajaram
- Dr. David Rice
- Dr. Stephen Swisher
- Dr. Ara Vaporciyan
- Dr. Garrett Walsh
Thoracic Medical Oncologists
- Dr. Mehmet Atlan
- Dr. George Blumenschein
- Dr. Lauren Byers
- Dr. Tina Cascone
- Dr. Yasir Elamin
- Dr. Frank V. Fossell
- Dr. Carl M. Gay
- Dr. Don Gibbons
- Dr. John Heymach
- Dr. Xiuning Le
- Dr. Charles Lu
- Dr. Marcelo Vailati Negrao
- Dr. Eric Singhi
- Dr. Ferdinandos Skoulidis
- Dr. Anne Tsao
- Dr. Natalie Vokes
- Dr. Jay Zhang
Thoracic Radiation Oncologists
- Dr. Joe Chang
- Dr. Aileen Chen
- Dr. Stephen Chun
- Dr. Saumil Gandhi
- Dr. Zhongxing Liao
- Dr. Steve Lin
- Dr. Matthew Ning
- Dr. Quynh-Nhu Nguyen
- Dr. Michael O’Reilly
- Dr. James Welsh
Contact Mesothelioma Hope if you want help getting matched with a mesothelioma specialist at MD Anderson Cancer Center or other top mesothelioma cancer treatment centers.
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials and Research at MD Anderson Cancer Center
Mesothelioma patients are often encouraged to participate in clinical trials due to the disease’s rare and aggressive nature. Mesothelioma clinical trials offer patients access to experimental treatments that are not yet available to the general population.
MD Anderson Cancer Center’s mesothelioma clinical trials cover all stages of the cancer. Many of its clinical trials are not offered anywhere else.
“In 2021, the FDA approved 48 new cancer drugs for public clinical use. MD Anderson contributed to the development of 29 of those — more than 60 percent.”
MD Anderson’s clinical trial program involves:
- 1,600 clinical trials
- 195 patents awarded to MD Anderson
- 9,684 patients in clinical trials
- Over $1.03 billion spent on research
MD Anderson Cancer Center is also the site of many revolutionary research initiatives that improve how we treat mesothelioma and open up new possibilities for the future.
New areas that are being explored include:
- Better ways to accurately diagnose mesothelioma
- Pioneering targeted agents that assist your body in combating mesothelioma
- Targeted radiation therapy treatments that minimize damage to healthy tissue and zone in on cancerous cells
MD Anderson’s mesothelioma research is helping doctors push the boundaries of what is possible with cancer treatment.
With continued research and testing of this caliber, mesothelioma cancer centers like MD Anderson will break down barriers in treatment and improve the lives of current and future patients.
Seeking Care at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
You can contact MD Anderson directly to request appointment assistance. However, if you want dedicated help, connect with Mesothelioma Hope now.
Our Patient Advocates have over 65 years of combined experience. They are highly trained to offer personalized assistance to mesothelioma patients and their families.
Patient Advocates are standing by 24/7. They can review your diagnosis, answer your questions, and help match you with cancer treatment centers that best meet your treatment goals.
Mesothelioma Hope has no affiliation with and is not endorsed or sponsored by MD Anderson Cancer Center. Any contact information listed is for informational purposes only. You have the right to contact MD Anderson Cancer Center directly.