- Address 333 Cottman Avenue Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111
- Chief, Division of Thoracic Surgery Dr. Abbas Abbas
“Thank you for entrusting your care to us. We feel deeply honored when people from all over the world choose Fox Chase. Your decision to seek treatment here provides you access to leading physicians, cutting-edge research and clinical trials, state-of-the-art technology, novel treatments and therapies, and a truly excellent support staff. We are proud to say our hospital consistently ranks among the best for cancer care. At Fox Chase, world-class care is right here under one roof. Welcome to our home.” — Dr. Richard Fisher, President and CEO of Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Fox Chase Cancer Center has a highly respected mesothelioma program that utilizes the latest surgical techniques and therapies to combat the cancer. In addition, Fox Chase routinely administers clinical trials, providing patients access to the latest advancements in mesothelioma care.
Center Location & Overview
- Respected cancer center located in Philadelphia, PA
- Multidisciplinary team with extensive pleural, peritoneal and pericardial mesothelioma experience
- Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute, the highest accolade NCI can give to a hospital
- Utilizes multimodal treatment plans that often combine surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy
Patient Experience at Fox Chase
Patients who are interested in receiving treatment at Fox Chase Cancer Center will benefit from next day appointments with the center’s thoracic cancer experts. Fox Chase prides itself on this fast service, as it reduces patient stress and can ensure that treatment is received quickly.
Fox Chase Cancer Center takes a multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatment, backing every treatment plan with the expertise of numerous mesothelioma specialists. These experts will review a patient’s history, scans, and files together, and then develop an individualized treatment plan that is likely to have the best outcome for the patient.
“The thoracic oncology team meets regularly to review new or challenging cases in depth and reach a consensus on treatment strategies. Through this coordinated approach, we strive to offer the most thorough and personalized care, as well as access to innovative therapies for your cancer.” – Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Fox Chase has a strong international program as well, assisting patients from outside the country. Fox Chase offers a full range of support and services through the Philadelphia International Medicine, removing many of the physical and invisible barriers that foreign mesothelioma patients may otherwise experience. Doctors are also willing to coordinate information with overseas physicians and provide video conference consultations when necessary.
Mesothelioma Program at Fox Chase
Fox Chase Cancer Center had a robust mesothelioma program that treats patients with pleural, peritoneal, and pericardial mesothelioma, from diagnosis to survivorship. The center has over a dozen mesothelioma specialists who have extensive experience treating the disease, as well as a full support staff of nurses and other medical professionals.
Fox Chase follows the multimodal approach to mesothelioma treatment, combining surgery with other therapies such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Mesothelioma Doctors at Fox Chase
- Dr. Abbas El-Sayed Abbas
- Dr. Roman Petrov
- Dr. Stacey Su
- Dr. Mark Hallman
- Dr. Jessica Bauman
- Dr. Hossein Borghaei
- Dr. Yanis Boumber
- Dr. Scot Ebbinghaus
- Dr. Gregory Lubiniecki
- Dr. Anthony Olszanski
- Dr. Joseph Treat
- Dr. Alex Haber
- Dr. Rohit Kumar
Mesothelioma Treatment Options at Fox Chase
As a Comprehensive Cancer Center, Fox Chase offers patients a wide range of treatment options. Most patients will be prescribed a plan that includes surgery, systemic therapies such as chemotherapy or immunotherapy, and radiation therapy.
The mesothelioma program employs a wide range of surgical techniques, including endoscopic surgery, robotic surgery, and laparoscopic surgeries. The center is also equipped with robotics, allowing Fox Chase’s surgeons to perform minimally invasive surgeries whenever possible.
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP): The traditional surgical treatment for mesothelioma, EPP involves the removal of a patient’s tumor, lung, pericardium, and diaphragm. This highly aggressive option is used at Fox Chase when P/D is not possible.
- Pleurectomy With Decortication (P/D): A technically demanding technique, P/D requires a surgeon to remove a tumor, and often the pericardium and diaphragm, while sparing a patient’s lung. Many surgical oncologists prefer this technique over EPP because of its faster recovery times and potentially better quality of life.
- HIPEC: Heated Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC), or heated chemotherapy, is a mesothelioma treatment option in which the abdominal cavity is soaked in a warmed chemo solution. This is a surgical procedure that attempts to wipe out any microscopic cancer cells left behind after EPP or P/D surgery.
- Chemotherapy: In addition to heated chemo, Fox Chase provides traditional chemotherapy options for mesothelioma patients. In some cases, chemotherapy treatment may be administered as part of an innovative clinical trial.
- Immunotherapy: The oncologists at Fox Chase will often use immunotherapy to help patients’ bodies fight mesothelioma. Immunotherapy, also known as biological therapy, attempts to stimulate the immune system into fighting off cancer cells and preventing remission.
- Radiation Therapy: Fox Chase’s radiation oncologists can use high-energy beams to treat mesothelioma. The center typically uses radiation therapy in conjunction with surgery and chemotherapy or, for non-surgical patients, with aggressive chemotherapy.
- Interventional Pulmonology: The pulmonologists at Fox Chase have worked extensively with mesothelioma patients, including those with limited lung function, and can use interventional pulmonology to treat pleural effusions caused by mesothelioma.
Clinical Trials, Studies & Research at Fox Chase
Fox Chase Cancer Center is on the cutting-edge of cancer research, helping develop new cancer treatments for mesothelioma patients. As such, patients of Fox Chase can often participate in clinical trials to access the latest potential mesothelioma treatments before they are approved for general use.
- Treatment Trials: Fox Chase Cancer Center is administering a number of treatment trials, which test potential therapies for pleural mesothelioma patients. Some of these treatment trials are testing pharmaceutical drugs, such as gemcitabine and pemetrexed. Other treatment trials are attempting to refine multi-treatment approaches to mesothelioma.
- Non-Treatment Trials: In addition to treatment trials, Fox Chase may also provide access to non-treatment clinical trials. These trials attempt to better understand the way cancers like mesothelioma behave in hopes of someday stopping it. Common non-treatment trials for mesothelioma at Fox Chase include drugs that interrupt cell pathways required for cancer growth, and tumor collection for future studies.
Insurance Information at Fox Chase
Fox Chase Cancer Center accepts the majority of health insurance plans. In addition, the hospital has two designated financial counselors who can assist patients with understanding their existing coverage. These individuals are:
- Nicole Clarke – 215-728-3162
- Michelle McHale – 215-728-2678
The mesothelioma program’s accepted insurance plans include:
- Aetna Choice POS II
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access
- CIGNA PPO
- Great West PPO
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PHCS PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- United Healthcare – Direct Choice Plus POS
- United Healthcare – Direct Options PPO
Fox Chase’s Mission Statement & Values
Fox Chase Cancer Center is everything a patient could hope for in a cancer center. Each patient is treated with kindness and compassion, yet the doctors are ferocious in their treatment of mesothelioma. Fox Chase uses a multidisciplinary approach to treatment plans, bringing the expertise of many experts to every mesothelioma patient.
The cancer center’s mission is “to prevail over cancer, marshaling heart and mind in bold scientific discovery, pioneering prevention, and compassionate care.”