Speak with our patient care advocates to get paired with the best doctorsAvailable for Chat
About H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, commonly referred to as Moffitt Cancer Center, has established one of the country’s only mesothelioma treatment centers — Moffitt’s Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center.
The Moffitt mesothelioma team is part of the largest multidisciplinary medical group focusing on cancer care, surgery, and clinical trials in Florida.
“Few doctors have worked on as many mesothelioma cases as the oncologists at Moffitt Cancer Center.”
—H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
The Moffitt Cancer Center diagnoses and treats all forms of malignant mesothelioma. This includes the more common forms of pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma. Moffitt also treats rarer types of mesothelioma, such as pericardial and testicular mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma patients and their loved ones can seek treatment at Moffitt or one of the nation’s other top cancer treatment centers.
Get help finding what mesothelioma treatment options may be best for you with our free updated guide.
Moffitt is best known for science and research. These are the driving forces behind the dedicated staff working on finding and developing more effective mesothelioma treatments.
The Moffitt Mesothelioma Care Approach
A multidisciplinary team of mesothelioma healthcare professionals allows for the most comprehensive care possible. Moffitt’s expert team has the skill required to accurately diagnose, treat, and study mesothelioma.
Moffitt’s Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center has specialists in:
- Interventional radiology
- Medical oncology
- Radiation oncology
- Thoracic surgery
At Moffitt Cancer Center, patients are included in every step. Because of the robust team of specialists at Moffit, patients can remain at one location and not have to get moved between facilities.
Individualized Mesothelioma Treatment
Moffitt Cancer Center teams develop a customized treatment plan for every mesothelioma patient.
These comprehensive diagnostic and treatment approaches are based on a patient’s individual circumstances and biological makeup. This includes identifying certain genetics that responds to specific treatment methods.
Treatment plans may consist of standard surgical procedures, radiation, and chemotherapy. They may also involve newer techniques such as immunotherapies (boosting the immune system to better fight mesothelioma) or vaccines.
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials
Moffitt Cancer Center has an extensive clinical trial program where researchers test new treatment initiatives on patients willing to explore experimental methods. The aim of clinical trials is to advance the search to find a cure for cancer.
Mesothelioma clinical trials at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center include the following treatments:
- Gene therapy
- Heated chemotherapy
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgeries
- Targeted therapies
Eligible patients are immersed in clinical trials and are involved in every decision and option. Moffitt clinical trial patients also get connected with a trained support network in a way few other clinical trial facilities can match.
Speak with our trusted advocates to learn more about clinical trials.
Moffitt Mesothelioma Cancer Center Medical Staff
Florida’s Moffitt Cancer Center has the National Cancer Institute elite status of NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Much of the credit goes to Moffitt’s professional staff, which includes a world-class mesothelioma specialist team.
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center mesothelioma specialists include:
- Dr. Jobelle Baldonado
- Dr. Alberto Chiappori
- Dr. Jennifer Cox
- Dr. Benjamin Creelan
- Dr. Thomas Dilling
- Dr. Sean Dineen
- Dr. Jacques Fontaine
- Dr. Jhanelle Gray
- Dr. Eric Haura
- Dr. Bob Keenan
- Dr. Farah Khalil
- Dr. Bela Kis
- Dr. Damian Laber
- Dr. Bruna Pellini
- Dr. Bradford Perez
- Dr. Benjamin Powers
- Dr. Lary Robinson
- Dr. Stephen Rosenberg
- Dr. Andreas Saltos
- Dr. Michael Shafique
- Dr. Tawee Tanvetyanon
- Dr. Eric Toloza
- Dr. Sam Vafadar
Moffitt Cancer Center is also a founding member of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN). This program allows Moffitt’s cancer treatment staff to exchange information with other top cancer treatment centers. The cancer centers can then gather and exchange data about cancer treatment discoveries.
Using a standard system, this medical partnership between network cancer hospitals can track patients’ epidemiological, molecular, and clinical information.
Finding the best mesothelioma doctor is a personal decision that varies from patient to patient. Get personalized help with our Free Mesothelioma Doctor Match.
H. Lee Moffitt Mesothelioma Treatment Plans
Moffitt Cancer Center treats all types of mesothelioma using a combination of invasive and non-invasive procedures.
Moffitt’s team of oncologists, radiologists, surgeons, and specialists develop a treatment plan based on the location of the patient’s mesothelioma, cell type, stage, and patient particulars such as overall health and genetic disposition.
Mesothelioma treatment plans may include the following:
- Extrapleural Pneumonectomy (EPP): PPD is the most invasive pleural mesothelioma surgical procedure performed at Moffitt Cancer Center. It involves removing a lung and/or the abdomen lining or lining around the heart. Although a serious procedure, EPP has a high success rate if done in the early stages. Longer and better life quality are proven EPP results.
- Pleurectomy/Decortication (P/D): P/D is a newer pleural mesothelioma procedure performed at Moffitt. Surgeons remove all visible tumors from the pleura but leave the lung in place. P/D is sometimes done through remotely assisted techniques.
- Pleurodesis: This surgery drains fluid buildup around the lungs caused by pleural mesothelioma. It is not used to remove tumors.
- Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (CRS/HIPEC): Cytoreductive surgery with heated chemotherapy is suitable for peritoneal treatment. It involves soaking the abdominal organs in a warm chemical bath targeting microscopic cancer cells that can’t be surgically removed.
- Brachytherapy: This is an alternative form of radiation therapy. It places a sealed radiation source around a tumor and delivers a high radiation dose to terminate cancer cells. Some cases have better results with brachytherapy than with conventional surgery.
- Chemotherapy: Traditional chemotherapy delivers chemicals through oral or intravenous paths. Chemotherapy advancements at Moffitt appear promising for early-stage mesothelioma.
- Supplementary Therapies: Moffitt provides a broad range of supplemental therapeutics to improve a patient’s quality of life. Some therapies include meditation, yoga, massage, and nutritional guidance. They also have regular visits with therapy dogs.
Each mesothelioma patient is different, which means there is no one-size-fits-all treatment plan. Your doctor can help you determine the best options, but you should be prepared to ask the right questions. Mesothelioma Hope has compiled a list of useful questions to ask to help start the conversation with your doctor.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center Insurance Information
Moffitt Cancer Center is a non-profit organization. However, cancer research and treatment are expensive, and most financial responsibilities fall onto private healthcare insurance providers.
Insurance plans accepted at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center include:
- Beech Street PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Options
- Coventry Health Plan HMO & PPO (including Medicare Advantage)
- Employers Healthcare Network
- Evolutions Healthcare System
- First Health
- Gulf Coast Provider Network
- Health First
- Hillsborough County Health Care Plan
- LifeTrac Transplant Network
- Molina Healthcare
- Neighborhood Health Partnership HMO
- Optum VA CCN
- Prime Health Services Network
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)
- Quality Health Management
- Simply Healthcare
- TriWest Healthcare Alliance
- United Healthcare
- Volusia Health Network
Getting Mesothelioma Treatment at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
As a leader in specialized mesothelioma treatment, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center is an excellent choice for mesothelioma patients. It has ranked among U.S. News & World Report’s Top 25 Cancer Centers since 1999 and is recognized as one of the top cancer treatment centers in the country.
Led by oncological experts, Moffitt Cancer Center’s multidisciplinary team is dedicated to developing personalized treatment plans. These customized treatments uniquely target each mesothelioma patient’s cell type, location, and stage.
To learn more about seeking treatment at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, contact us today.
Our caring Patient Advocates can help answer your questions about receiving specialized care at Moffitt or other top mesothelioma cancer treatment centers in the country.
Mesothelioma Hope has no affiliation with and is not endorsed or sponsored by H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center. Any contact information listed is for informational purposes only. You have the right to contact H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center directly.