Speak with our patient care advocates to get paired with the best doctorsAvailable for Chat
Mesothelioma Hope has no affiliation with and is not endorsed or sponsored by H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center. Any contact information listed is for informational purposes only. You have the right to contact H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center directly.
About H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
The Moffitt mesothelioma team is part of Florida’s biggest multidisciplinary medical group focusing on cancer study, surgery and clinical trials.
“At Moffitt, we diagnose and treat all types of mesothelioma, including pleural, peritoneal and pericardial; no referral is necessary to meet with our team. Our nationally-recognized program takes a multispecialty approach to individualized treatment.” —Moffitt Cancer Center
Moffitt has 337 specialists in oncology, 221 physicians who are board-certified and 156 other professionals of advanced practice. Combined, Moffitt’s staff specialize in nearly 30 oncological programs and services.
The Moffitt Cancer Center diagnoses and treats the three main forms of malignant mesothelioma — pleural, peritoneal, and pericardial. The most common mesothelioma location is pleural mesothelioma, affecting the lung lining.
Pleural mesothelioma accounts for three-quarters of this rare but aggressive cancer form. Less seen at Moffitt are peritoneal (abdomen lining) and pericardial (heart lining) mesothelioma.
Science and research are what Moffitt is best-known for. It’s the driving force behind their dedicated staff who strive to develop better and more effective treatments for mesothelioma patients.
The Moffitt Mesothelioma Care Approach
There is no referral required for mesothelioma treatment at the Moffitt Cancer Center. Most Moffitt patients learn of this cutting-edge facility from their personal care providers or by testimonials from other Moffitt patients.
Moffitt’s multispecialty approach allows treatment for all forms of mesothelioma and at every severity stage.
A multidisciplinary team of mesothelioma professionals with the expertise to correctly diagnose treat and study the disease.
The Moffitt Thoracic Oncology Program consists of the following experts:
- Radiation technicians
- Social support workers
A primary caregiver is assigned to a patient and remains as the point-person throughout the treatment process.
At Moffitt Cancer Center, patients are included in every step and remain at one location without being moved between clinics.
Moffitt teams develop tailored treatment plans for each individual patient.
These comprehensive diagnostic and treatment approaches account for a patient’s particular circumstances and biological makeup. That includes identifying certain genetics that responds to specific treatment methods.
Treatment plans may include standard surgical procedures, radiation, and chemotherapy or new, innovative techniques such as immunotherapies (enhancing the immune system to better combat mesothelioma) or mesothelioma vaccines.
Moffitt Cancer Center has a robust clinical trial program where researchers test novel treatments on patients willing to explore experimental methods.
Moffitt has five core areas of research:
- Cancer epidemiology
- Cancer biology evolution
- Chemical biology
- Molecular medicine
Qualified patients are immersed in clinical trials and included in every decision and option. Moffitt clinical patients are connected to their professional support network in a way few other facilities can replicate.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center Medical Staff
Florida’s Moffitt Cancer Center carries a National Cancer Institute (NCI) designation. In 2001, Moffitt received the prestigious NCI comprehensive cancer center award.
Most of this recognition was due to Moffitt’s professional staff that includes these world-class mesothelioma surgeons and physicians.
Moffit clinicians include:
- Dr. Scott Antonia
- Dr. Michael Fradley
- Dr. Alberto Chiappori
- Dr. Benjamin Creelan
- Dr. Jhanelle Gray
- Dr. Eric Haura
- Dr. Michael Shafique
- Dr. Tawee Tanvetyanon
- Dr. Charles Williams Jr.
- Dr. Soner Altiok
- Dr. Farah Khalil
- Dr. Prudence Smith
- Dr. W. Alberts
- Dr. Jennifer Xoc
- Dr. Frank Kaszuba
- Dr. Thomas Dilling
- Dr. Bradford Perez
- Dr. Jacques-Pierre Fontaine
- Dr. Robert Keenan
- Dr. Lary Robinson
- Dr. Eric Toloza
Moffitt Cancer Center is a founder of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN).
Moffitt’s cancer treatment staff exchanges information with other top cancer treatment centers to collaborate on accessing data on recent cancer treatment discoveries.
Using a standard system, the medical partnership can track patient’s epidemiological, molecular and clinical information.
H. Lee Moffitt Mesothelioma Treatment Plans
Moffitt Cancer Center treats all three mesothelioma locations using a combination of invasive and non-invasive procedures.
Moffitt’s team of oncologists, surgeons, and other specialists develop a treatment approach based on the patient’s mesothelioma location, cell type, disease stage, and patient particulars like overall health and genetic disposition.
Individual treatment plans may include the following procedures and approaches:
- Extrapleural Pneumonectomy (EPP): EPP is the most invasive pleural mesothelioma surgical procedure done at Moffitt Cancer Center. It involves removing a lung and/or the lining of the abdomen or around the heart. Although a serious procedure, EPP has a high success rate if done in the early stages. Longer and better life quality are proven EPP results.
- Pleurectomy/Decortication (P/D): P/D is a fairly recent pleural mesothelioma innovation at Moffitt. Surgeons remove all visible tumors from the pleura but leave the lung in place. P/D is sometimes done by remotely assisted techniques.
- Robotic-Assisted Surgery: Moffitt technology includes video-assisted thoracic surgery(VATS)—a procedure done by tiny robots with cameras that enter the thoracic cavity through minimal invasion. Robots are suitable for P/D rather than for EPP.
- Heated Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC): Also called heated chemotherapy, HIPEC is suitable for peritoneal treatment where abdominal organs are soaked in a warm chemical that targets microscopic cancer cells that can’t be surgically removed.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) / Tomotherapy: IMRT focuses high-energy beams on cancer tumors to shrink or destroy mesothelioma cells. It’s often employed through Computerized Tomotherapy (CT scans).
- Brachytherapy: This is an alternative form of radiation therapy. It places a sealed source of radiation around a tumor and delivers a high radiation dose to terminate cancer cells. Some cases have better results with brachytherapy than with conventional surgery.
- Chemotherapy: Traditional chemotherapy delivers chemicals through oral or intravenous paths. Chemo advancements at Moffitt appear promising for early-stage mesothelioma.
- Supplementary Therapies: Moffitt provides a broad range of supplemental therapies intended to make a patient’s quality of life better. Some therapies include meditation, yoga, massage, and nutrition guidance. They even have regular visits with therapy dogs.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center Insurance Information
Moffitt Cancer Center is a non-profit organization.
However, cancer research and treatment is an expensive business, and most of the financial responsibilities are based on private healthcare insurance providers.
Insurance plans accepted at Moffitt include:
- Beech Street PPO
- Capital Health Plan
- Coventry Health Care
- Employers Healthcare Network
- Evolutions Healthcare System
- First Health
- Great-West Healthcare
- Gulf Coast Provider Network
- Health First
- LifeTrac Transplant Network
- Prime Health Services Network
- Private Healthcare Systems
- Quality Health Management
- Summit Health Plan
- Tethys Health Ventures
- United Healthcare
- Volusia Health Network
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida/Florida Blue
- Children’s Medical Services Ped-I-Care
- Hillsborough County Health Care Plan
- Neighborhood Health Partnership
Getting Mesothelioma Treatment at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
As a leader in specialized mesothelioma treatment, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center is an excellent choice for mesothelioma patients.
Led by world-renowned oncological experts, the multidisciplinary team at Moffitt is dedicated to developing individualized treatment plans that uniquely target your exact mesothelioma location, cell type, and stage.
To learn more about seeking treatment at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL, contact us today.
We can help answer your questions about receiving specialized care at Moffitt or any other top mesothelioma cancer center in the country.