About Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Clinic is based at the University of Miami. As the only university-based cancer center in South Florida, it receives thousands of patients from around the state. It’s also highly recognized around the country and internationally for its groundbreaking cancer treatment and compassionate care.
Sylvester’s message to patients is “No one is more prepared to fight your cancer.” Its team of over 300 cancer-focused physicians and researchers work to discover new and effective treatment options to deliver to patients.
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center focuses entirely on cancer patients. As a university hospital, Sylvester has the resources and equipment to conduct innovative research and offer leading clinical trials.
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center Location and Overview
The following highlights make Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center a top choice for mesothelioma treatment:
- Journal of the American Medical Association “Elite Cancer Centre”
- More treatment options and clinical trials than most southeastern U.S. hospitals
- State-of-the-art treatments like robotic video-assisted surgery
- Patients are treated by physicians who specialize in mesothelioma
- Targeted, multidisciplinary mesothelioma treatment tailored to each patient
The Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is located at:
1475 N.W. 12th Avenue
Miami, FL 33136
Sylvester also has 6 satellite facilities located within 35 miles of the main center in nearby Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
- Sylvester at Coral Gables, The Lennar Foundation Medical Center
5555 Ponce de Leon Boulevard
Coral Gables, FL 33146
- Sylvester at Kendall
8932 SW 97 Avenue
Miami, FL 33176
- Sylvester at Plantation
Crossroads Business Park
8100 SW 10th Street, Building 3
Plantation, FL 33324
- Sylvester at Deerfield Beach
1192 East Newport Center Drive
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
- Sylvester at Hollywood
3850 Hollywood Blvd, Suite 1B
Hollywood, FL 33021
- Sylvester at Coral Springs
8170 Royal Palm Blvd
Coral Springs, FL
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center Patient Experience
Sylvester aims to create a streamlined and compassionate treatment plan. Patients who visit Sylvester first meet a Cancer Care Coordinator who answers questions and explains the next steps. They then organize the treatment process and act as a continuous contact while the patient meets other healthcare professionals at Sylvester.
Each case is different, but patients may work with some of the following specialists:
- Medical oncologists
- Surgical oncologists
- Nurse practitioners
- Support staff (nutritionists, pharmacists and others)
The Courtelis Center for Psychosocial Oncology at Sylvester helps patients and their families cope with mesothelioma diagnosis and treatment. It offers several services, including support groups that meet regularly.
Patients traveling to Sylvester by car receive a discounted valet parking rate. Or they can park in a nearby parking garage and ride the free shuttle to the hospital. Different shuttles operate on other routes and are available to patients and their family for a reasonable cost.
Mesothelioma patients at Sylvester receive integrated care before, during and after treatment from a variety of specialized physicians. At every step, Sylvester values the patient’s physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs.
Most physicians assigned to patients at Sylvester are site disease group-based. This means only those who specialize or have in-depth knowledge of mesothelioma are involved in treatment and care. Depending on the type of mesothelioma, patients will likely work with thoracic or GI specialists.
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Centers’ mesothelioma program currently includes the following doctors:
- Dr. Barry Berman, M.D.
- Dr. Roberto A. Cano, M.D.
- Dr. Mauricio Ramiro Escobar, M.D.
- Dr. Laura Michelle Freedman, M.D.
- Dr. Chukwuemeka Venatius Ikpeazu, Sr., M.D., Ph.D., MBA, FACP
- Dr. Mohammad Jahanzeb, M.D.
- Dr. Alan S. Livingstone, M.D.
- Dr. Gilberto Lopes, M.D.
- Dr. Jorge Antunez de Mayolo, M.D.
- Dr. Mecker Moller, M.D.
- Dr. Raja Mudad, M.D.
- Dr. Neil Nagovski, M.D.
- Dr. Dao M. Nguyen, M.D.
- Dr. Alan Dal Pra, M.D.
- Dr. Steven E. Rodgers, M.D., Ph.D.
- Dr. Frances Valdes, M.D.
- Dr. Luis Villa, M.D.
- Dr. Nestor R. Villamizar, M.D.
- Dr. Steven Weiss, M.D.
- Dr. Israel Wiznitzer, M.D.
- Dr. Danny Yakoub, M.D., Ph.D.
- Dr. Raphael Yechieli, M.D.
Mesothelioma Treatment Options
Patients at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center receive treatment individualized to their specific case. In many cases, the treatment plan involves a multimodal approach using more than one treatment.
Mesothelioma patients at Sylvester may receive one or more of the following treatments:
- Surgery: Pleural mesothelioma surgeries including extrapleural pneumonectomy and the lung-saving pleurectomy with decortication. Robotic video-assistance is often used to decrease blood loss and speed recovery.
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC): For treatment of peritoneal mesothelioma using heated chemotherapy applied to the abdominal cavity, often paired with cytoreduction surgery to remove tumors and cancerous tissue. Sylvester pioneered HIPEC in South Florida.
- Radiation: Oncologists use targeted radiation to deliver precision treatment in less time. Sylvester is one of only 5 hospitals in the US to use ViewRay MRI-guided radiation therapy.
- Chemotherapy: For patients with early-stage mesothelioma, chemotherapy is often used in conjunction with surgery to reduce recurrence. For later-stage mesothelioma, chemotherapy is used to ease symptoms and enhance quality of life.
- Supportive Care: Sylvester’s comprehensive treatment plans offer a wide range of supplementary care and support services, including nutrition, exercise, mental well being, pet therapy and services for family members.
Clinical Trials and Research
Specialists at Sylvester are currently conducting over 200 clinical cancer trials and research initiatives. These projects aim to advance care in cancer prevention, screening, diagnosis, treatment and quality of life. Some clinical trials are open to patients as an alternative treatment option.
An important mesothelioma clinical trial is currently underway at Sylvester. The trial is testing whether adding a protein drug to chemotherapy helps to slow down or even kill cancer cells. The trial is open to pleural mesothelioma patients who are not eligible to receive surgery.
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center Insurance Information
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center accepts all major traditional insurance providers. It works with Medicare, Medicaid, CHAMPUS and Workers Compensation, as well as several health organizations. To confirm insurance acceptance, check with your provider or call Sylvester at 305-243-1000.
Some insurance plans accepted at Sylvester include:
- Argus Vision
- Beacon Health
- Beech Street
- Broward Health Medical Center
- Catholic Hospice
- Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office
- Clear Health Alliance
- Concordia Behavioral Health
- EHN PPO
- Europ Assistance/Global Corporate Solutions
- FCCI WC
- Florida Healthcare Plan
- Florida PACE (FPC)
- Freedom Health Medicaid HMO
- Gallagher Bassett WC (MDCPS & FCSRMC)
- Global Excel Mgt PPO
- Global Health Claims Services
- Great West (Cigna) HMO/POS
- Guardian Life PPO
- HAA Preferred Partners
- Health First Health
- Health Net Veterans Choice HMO
- Heritage Summit Healthcare WC
- iCare Health Solutions
- Interlink Health Services
- International Kids Fund
- League Medical Concepts Federal Inmates
- Medica Medicare
- Medical Development In’t (MDI)-Federal Inmates
- Morgan White International
- National Healthcare Solutions Inc.
- Neighborhood Health Plan
- North Broward Hospital District
- Olympus Managed Healthcare
- Positive Healthcare
- Prestige Health Choice
- Prime Health Services
- Quality Health Management
- Religious Order of Jehovah’s Witnesses
- Rockport Healthcare Group
- Royal Caribbean Cruises
- Sanus Health Corporation
- Simply Healthcare Medicaid
- Start Healthcare Network
- Tricare South Prime
- University of Miami Athletic Dept
- Wexford Health State Inmates
- Worldwide Managed Care
Sylvester provides financial assistance to patients who meet eligibility and documentation requirements. Patients can read the hospital’s financial assistance policy for more information. For foreign patients, UHealth International provides financial and planning assistance for receiving care at Sylvester. It also lists the steps required before traveling for treatment.
Seeking Treatment at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
If you or a loved one are interested in seeking treatment at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, contact our Patient Advocates today for further information.