- Specialty Pleural Mesothelioma
- Procedure Mesothelioma Surgery
University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
1295 Northwest 14th Street, Suite H
Miami, FL 33125
About Dr. Nguyen
Dr. Dao Nguyen is a board-certified thoracic surgeon with more than 20 years of experience in cancer treatment and research. Dr. Nguyen can help those with mesothelioma or lung cancer by providing cutting-edge cancer treatments.
Dr. Nguyen sees patients at the following Miami hospitals:
- Jackson Memorial Hospital
- University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
Dr. Nguyen is one of the top mesothelioma surgeons in Florida, having been listed as one of Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors since 2011. With help from Dr. Nguyen and his team, mesothelioma patients may have a better chance at long-term survival.
Download our Free Checklist of 14 Questions to Ask Your Doctor when seeing Dr. Nguyen or other specialists to get the answers you need to navigate your diagnosis.
Who Does Dr. Nguyen Treat?
Dr. Nguyen has spent much of his time as a thoracic surgeon treating patients with pleural mesothelioma and lung cancer.
Pleural mesothelioma is the most common type of mesothelioma. It develops in the linings of a person’s lungs after they have been exposed to asbestos fibers.
When treating patients for mesothelioma, Dr. Nguyen prefers minimally invasive techniques and often uses video-assisted or robotic procedures.
Our team of Patient Advocates can help you find top treatments for mesothelioma and apply for financial assistance: Call (866) 608-8933 now to learn more.
Dr. Nguyen’s Medical Background
Dr. Nguyen received his medical degree from McGill University in Montreal, Canada, in 1986. He remained at McGill University for his general surgery and cardiothoracic surgery residencies.
From 1995 to 1996, Dr. Nguyen completed two fellowships at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in thoracic and cardiothoracic surgery.
Dr. Nguyen then served as a surgeon at McGill University and the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, before joining the University of Miami in 2007 as a Professor of Surgery and Chief of the Section of Thoracic Surgery.
Dr. Nguyen’s Treatment Approach
Dr. Nguyen’s approach to mesothelioma treatment is to use minimally invasive techniques whenever possible. He also believes that combining treatments is very effective.
For example, Dr. Nguyen often treats mesothelioma patients with a combination of surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. This approach is referred to as multimodal therapy.
Dr. Nguyen can also use the following to treat patients:
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery
- Thoracoscopic excision of lung with robotic assistance
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) or thoracotomy
Get help connecting with Dr. Nguyen and other leading mesothelioma surgeons using our Free Doctor Match.
Dr. Nguyen is a highly acclaimed surgeon who has dedicated his career to improving the lives of those diagnosed with mesothelioma and other cancers.
Awards and Accolades
Dr. Nguyen has won many awards for his work and is very highly rated and reviewed by the patients he treats.
Some of his awards and accolades include:
- American Cancer Society Fellow
- Compassionate Doctor Award Honoree (Vitals.com)
- Listed by SuperDoctors
- On-Time Doctor Award (Vitals.com)
- Patients’ Choice Award (U.S. Health News & World Report)
Through years of experience, Dr. Nguyen has held several notable roles and certifications.
These titles and board certifications include:
- B. and Donald Carlin Endowed Chair for Thoracic Surgical Oncology, University of Miami
- Board certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Board certified by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Co-Chair, Disease Specific Group (DSG) – Lung – SCCC
- Member, Thoracic Surgical Oncology, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
Research and Published Works
Dr. Nguyen has been published many times for his research and for his contributions to the cancer research projects of his colleagues in the medical field.
Some of his contributions include:
- Alnajar, A. et al. “MA04.05 Survival Benefit of Multiagent Chemotherapy With and Without Curative Surgery for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma.” Published in the Journal of Thoracic Oncology, October 2021.
- Kodia, K., et al. “Implementation of an enhanced recovery after thoracic surgery care pathway for thoracotomy patients-achieving better pain control with less (schedule II) opioid utilization.” Published in the Journal of Thoracic Disease, July 2021.
- Kodia, K., et al. “Liposomal bupivacaine versus bupivacaine/Epinephrine intercostal nerve block as Part of an enhanced recovery after thoracic surgery (Erats) Care pathway for robotic thoracic surgery.” Published in the Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, August 2021.
- Razi, S.S., et al. “Lobectomy versus stereotactic body radiotherapy in healthy octogenarians with stage I lung cancer.” Published in the Annals of Thoracic Surgery, May 2021.
Dr. Nguyen’s Work in Mesothelioma Treatment & Research
In addition to his work as a surgeon, Dr. Nguyen has also dedicated much of his career to cancer research and clinical trials studying new treatments for mesothelioma and other cancers.
Dr. Nguyen was part of a research team that looked at whether a protein nicknamed “hedgehog” played a role in the development of pleural mesothelioma. The hedgehog protein sends signals that affect the behavior and function of cells.
Dr. Nguyen and his colleagues found that hedgehog proteins do affect the growth of pleural mesothelioma and that by suppressing these proteins, patients could benefit.
Get our Free Mesothelioma Guide, shipped overnight, to learn more about treatments and clinical trials that may be able to help you live longer with this cancer.
Get in Touch With Dr. Nguyen
If you or a loved one has received a mesothelioma diagnosis, it’s important to find a mesothelioma cancer specialist such as Dr. Nguyen so you can start treatment sooner rather than later.
Mesothelioma Hope can help you connect with Dr. Nguyen and other top specialists. We provide free support to those impacted by mesothelioma and can answer any questions you have about your medical options.
Mesothelioma Hope has no affiliation with and is not endorsed or sponsored by Dr. Dao Nguyen. Any contact information listed is for informational purposes only. You have the right to contact Dr. Dao Nguyen directly.