About Mesothelioma Treatment in California
Mesothelioma is a devastating diagnosis for both patients and their loved ones. Fortunately, California is home to some of the top cancer centers in the country, providing patients access to both standard and emerging mesothelioma treatments.
Mesothelioma treatment options available in California include:
- Surgery: Depending on their type and stage of mesothelioma, patients may be able to undergo surgical procedures to remove tumors and increase their life expectancy.
- Chemotherapy: Cancer-fighting chemotherapy drugs can be used as a primary treatment for mesothelioma or in combination with surgery or radiation therapy.
- Radiation therapy: High-energy radiation can be used to kill cancer cells. It can be combined with chemotherapy or provided as a standalone treatment.
- Tumor treating fields (TTFields): This recently approved first-line treatment for pleural mesothelioma involves attaching pads to the patient’s chest to produce a low-grade electrical field that prevents cancer cells from dividing. When combined with chemotherapy, TTFields can slow cancer growth and extend survival.
- Immunotherapy: This is a relatively new type of mesothelioma treatment that helps the body’s immune system recognize and attack cancer cells.
- Clinical trials: Several cancer centers and clinics in California offer clinical trials to help patients access new treatments or new combinations of treatments for mesothelioma.
Learn more about treatment in our Free Mesothelioma Guide — packed with 90+ pages of information to help you fight this cancer.
Mesothelioma Treatment Centers in California
Mesothelioma cancer centers in California offer a multidisciplinary approach to treatment, combining the expertise of various medical professionals to provide patients with the best possible care.
- Home to the Center for Novel Therapeutics
- Only National Cancer Institute-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in the greater San Diego area
- Offers clinical trials at various facilities across Southern California
- Ranked No. 5 in the country for cancer treatment by U.S. News & World Report
- Offers free nutrition counseling and support groups for mesothelioma patients
- Named one of the nation’s top 50 cancer centers by U.S. News & World Report
- Home to one of the top five doctors for mesothelioma and thoracic surgery
- 75% of veterans say they usually or always get an appointment when they need it
California Mesothelioma Doctors
Because mesothelioma can spread so quickly, patients need to get care from highly trained doctors with extensive experience diagnosing, researching, and treating it.
Fortunately, there are specialized mesothelioma doctors in California who have dedicated their careers to helping patients.
Leads the Thoracic Oncology Program at the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
Surgical oncologist at Moores Cancer Center who specializes in heated chemotherapy for abdominal tumors
Thoracic Surgeon at UCLA Medical Center and founding Chief of the Division of Thoracic Surgery at West Los Angeles VA Medical Center
Mesothelioma Patient Care Teams in California
Patient care teams include medical professionals from various disciplines who work together to treat mesothelioma patients.
California patient care teams for mesothelioma treatment include:
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Social workers
- Patient advocates
- Thoracic surgeons
Care teams at California mesothelioma centers also offer helpful services like palliative (symptom-relieving) treatment, support groups, and educational programs to help patients and families navigate a cancer diagnosis.
California Mesothelioma Research and Clinical Trials
California is home to several research institutions that study malignant mesothelioma and other cancers.
Leading cancer research centers in California include:
- City of Hope National Medical Center
- Salk Institute Cancer Center
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Stanford Cancer Institute
- UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center
- UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
- UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
These research centers, some of which are National Cancer Institute-designated facilities, are at the forefront of mesothelioma research and treatment.
They offer personalized cancer care and conduct clinical trials for mesothelioma and other cancers.
Our Patient Advocates can help you find mesothelioma clinical trials at top California cancer centers. Call (866) 608-8933 right now to get started.
Scope of Asbestos-Related Diseases in California
Asbestos-related diseases like mesothelioma and lung cancer are a significant public health issue in the state of California.
According to the latest available data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 27,000 Californians died from asbestos-related diseases between 1999 and 2017.
Many of these cases are a result of exposure to asbestos fibers in the workplace, particularly in industries such as construction, shipyards, and manufacturing.
In fact, asbestos exposure is the only known cause of mesothelioma. However, by seeking mesothelioma treatment at top cancer centers within the state, patients fighting this cancer can get the help they need to live longer and feel better.
Cost of Mesothelioma Treatment in California
The cost of mesothelioma treatment in California varies based on several factors, including the type of treatment, the patient’s insurance coverage, and the stage of the disease.
However, the total cost of treating mesothelioma can easily exceed $500,000, according to registered nurse Amy Fair. This total cost includes expenses such as diagnostic tests, surgeries, follow-up care, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, medication, and more. The average monthly cost of chemotherapy alone is $10,000.
Fortunately, patients in California who developed mesothelioma as a result of toxic asbestos exposure may be able to get financial assistance to help pay for treatment.
Financial Assistance for California Mesothelioma Patients
California cancer centers can connect patients with financial aid options to help cover the costs of mesothelioma treatment.
Mesothelioma patients in California can pursue additional forms of financial assistance with help from an asbestos lawyer.
Learn more about the various ways to seek compensation for your or a loved one’s asbestos-related illness.
Asbestos Trust Fund Claims
Mesothelioma patients in California may be eligible to file claims with asbestos trust funds to receive compensation for their illness.
These trusts were established by bankrupt asbestos companies to compensate victims of asbestos exposure.
We can help you or a loved one can access compensation from asbestos trust funds — see if you qualify.
VA Benefits Claims
Veterans with mesothelioma in California can seek benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to cover their treatment costs.
VA benefits may include medical care, disability compensation, and other forms of assistance.
Learn more about benefits available to California veterans with mesothelioma in our Free Veterans Compensation Guide.
Mesothelioma patients in California may be able to file a lawsuit against the companies responsible for their asbestos exposure.
A successful mesothelioma lawsuit can award compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Mesothelioma Cancer Support Resources in California
There are many resources available for mesothelioma patients and their families in California, including support groups and financial assistance programs.
The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation provides a list of support groups and treatment centers in California for mesothelioma patients and their families.
The American Cancer Society also offers resources such as transportation assistance, lodging programs, and support groups for cancer patients in California.
In addition, organizations like the Cancer Legal Resource Center provide free legal services to cancer patients and their families who are facing financial difficulties due to their illness.
Get Help Finding California Mesothelioma Treatment
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, getting specialized treatment is crucial to improve your prognosis.
Our Patient Advocates are standing by to connect you with a California mesothelioma doctor who can provide the right treatment for your case.
Contact us today at (866) 608-8933 to get started on your treatment journey.
Mesothelioma Hope has no affiliation with and is not endorsed or sponsored by Dr. Robert Cameron. Any contact information listed is for informational purposes only. You have the right to contact Dr. Robert Cameron directly.