About Dr. Wolf
Dr. Andrea Wolf is a mesothelioma specialist at the Mount Sinai Health System in New York, where she leads a team that treats patients with this rare cancer.
Dr. Wolf’s interest in mesothelioma began during her medical training in Boston, and she has since made it the primary focus of her medical career and clinical research.
Today, Dr. Wolf and the rest of the staff at Mount Sinai Health System are committed to helping mesothelioma patients live as long as possible using the most effective treatments available.
Get answers from Dr. Wolf and other cancer specialists with our Free Checklist of 14 Questions to Ask Your Mesothelioma Doctor.
Who Does Dr. Wolf Treat?
Dr. Andrea Wolf has experience in treating patients with numerous types of cancer, specifically those that affect the lungs, esophagus, and chest wall.
Her primary focus is treating patients who have been diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, a rare cancer of the lung lining (pleura) that’s caused by asbestos exposure. Dr. Wolf can also treat lung cancer, lung nodules, and many other health issues.
Our team of Patient Advocates can help you find top treatments for mesothelioma and apply for financial assistance: Call (866) 608-8933 now to learn more.
Dr. Wolf’s Medical Background
Dr. Wolf was born in Brooklyn and received a bachelor’s degree from Princeton University, where she graduated cum laude. She earned her medical degree from Harvard Medical School, graduating with highest honors.
Dr. Wolf then completed her general surgery residency at Massachusetts General Hospital and her cardiothoracic surgery residency at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, where she was awarded the title of Chief Resident.
Dr. Wolf joined the Mount Sinai Health System in 2012 and has held several leadership positions. She currently has more than 20 years of experience in treating cancer patients.
Dr. Wolf has offices in both the Ruttenberg Treatment Center in New York City and at the Queens Cancer Center in Jamaica, NY.
Dr. Wolf’s Treatment Approach
Dr. Wolf typically uses surgery alongside other common mesothelioma treatments. Dr. Wolf prefers to use minimally invasive surgeries when possible.
However, she also has experience in performing some of the most aggressive and extensive pleural mesothelioma surgeries for patients who need them. These include the lung-removing extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and the lung-sparing pleurectomy with decortication (P/D) surgeries.
Further, Dr. Wolf believes that it is usually best to combine multiple types of treatment for best results. This is called multimodal therapy. Thus, she often uses chemotherapy and radiation in addition to mesothelioma surgery for the best results.
Dr. Wolf also specializes in the following treatments and procedures:
- General thoracic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS)
Dr. Wolf believes the patient’s quality of life should always be the top priority when developing their mesothelioma treatment plan.
A cancer diagnosis can seem devastating at first, but with the treatments that Dr. Wolf provides, mesothelioma patients may be able to live longer with fewer symptoms.
Get help connecting with top mesothelioma doctors like Dr. Wolf now with our Free Doctor Match.
Dr. Wolf is a highly accomplished mesothelioma specialist who has made a name for herself as one of the nation’s leading experts on this cancer.
Awards and Accolades
Dr. Wolf has received national and international recognition for her work in cancer treatment and pleural mesothelioma research.
Some of her awards and accolades include:
- Cancer Care Team Award from the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer in 2020
- Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) Irving J. Selikoff Award in 2022
- Castle Connolly “Top Doctor” Award (2016-present)
- Healthgrades Honor Roll
Dr. Wolf is board certified and currently leads some of the world’s best cancer treatment programs.
Her professional roles, affiliations, and board certifications include:
- Associate Professor in Thoracic Surgery at the Icahn School of Medicine
- Certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Certified in Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Chief Resident during residency at Massachusetts General Hospital
- Chief Resident during residency at Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Director of the Women’s Lung Cancer Program at Mount Sinai
- Director of the New York Mesothelioma Program at Mount Sinai
Research and Published Works
Dr. Wolf’s medical research and published articles can be found across numerous peer-reviewed medical journals, with much of her work focused on pleural mesothelioma.
Some of her contributions from past years include:
- Taioli, E., et al. “Frequency of surgery in black patients with malignant pleural Mesothelioma.” Published in Disease Markers, 2015.
- Taioli, E., et al. “Meta-analysis of survival after pleurectomy decortication versus extrapleural pneumonectomy in mesothelioma.” Published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, February 2015.
- Taioli, E., et al. “Women with malignant pleural mesothelioma have a threefold better survival rate than men.” Published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, September 2014.
- Wolf, A.S., Flores, R.M. “Current treatment of mesothelioma: extrapleural pneumonectomy versus pleurectomy/decortication.” Published in Thoracic Surgery Clinics, August 2016.
- Wolf, A.S., et al. “Lobectomy versus sublobar resection for small (2 cm or less) non-small cell lung cancers.” Published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, November 2011.
Dr. Wolf’s Work in Mesothelioma Treatment & Research
Much of Dr. Wolf’s research has been focused on improving mesothelioma treatments.
She has said that one of the biggest challenges in treating this cancer is that there is currently no standard of care for mesothelioma. By establishing one, she’ll hopefully be able to help patients feel less bleak about their mesothelioma diagnosis.
Dr. Wolf with other skilled mesothelioma researchers. For example, she has worked closely with Dr. Raja Flores as well as the late Dr. David Sugarbaker.
Get our Free Mesothelioma Guide shipped overnight to learn how specialized doctors and treatments can help improve your life expectancy.
Get in Touch With Dr. Wolf
If you or a loved one has recently been diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, you should speak with an experienced specialist like Dr. Andrea Wolf as quickly as possible.
If you need assistance contacting Dr. Wolf or any other top mesothelioma doctors around, we can help.
Mesothelioma Hope has no affiliation with and is not endorsed or sponsored by Dr. Andrea Wolf. Any contact information listed is for informational purposes only. You have the right to contact Dr. Andrea Wolf directly.