Finding a Mesothelioma Lawyer in Hawaii
Mesothelioma cancer victims in Hawaii deserve compensation from the manufacturers of asbestos-based products. Asbestos is the only known cause of mesothelioma — a devastating cancer with no cure. Manufacturers knew asbestos could be deadly but hid the facts to keep making money.
If you’ve been diagnosed with mesothelioma: Get a Free Legal Case Review Now
Nearly 150 Hawaii residents died from mesothelioma between 1999 and 2017, according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos-caused disease, working with a Hawaii mesothelioma lawyer can help you receive compensation and bring manufacturers of asbestos products to justice with a lawsuit.
Hawaii Mesothelioma Lawsuits
Mesothelioma lawsuits demand that manufacturers of asbestos-based products pay for causing a victim to develop this cancer.
Successful mesothelioma lawsuits often award $1 Million to $2.4 Million.
It costs nothing for you to file a mesothelioma lawsuit — and it’s no hassle. A Hawaii mesothelioma attorney will take care of nearly all the legal burdens.
Mesothelioma Settlements and Verdicts in Hawaii
Mesothelioma lawsuits pay asbestos victims through settlements and trial verdicts.
- Mesothelioma settlements occur in over 95% of cases. Settlements resolve the lawsuit before it goes to trial. Mesothelioma victims receive $1 Million on average from settlements.
- Mesothelioma trial verdicts happen only if the lawsuit is not settled. Through a trial, a jury may declare either the mesothelioma victim or the manufacturer of asbestos-based products the winner. Victims who win trials receive $2.4 Million on average, but if they lose, they get no money.
A Hawaii mesothelioma lawyer can negotiate settlements and prepare a case for trial if needed.
Statute of Limitations in Hawaii
Statutes of limitations are laws that prevent lawsuits from being filed after a certain period of time. These laws can be hard to understand since they vary by state and other factors.
If you want to file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations, contact a Hawaii mesothelioma lawyer soon after diagnosis or the death of a loved one. Mesothelioma lawyers in Hawaii know the statutes in the state.
Asbestos Trust Funds and Statutes of Limitations
If the statute of limitations in Hawaii has run out in your case, you could seek compensation through asbestos trust funds.
Bankrupt manufacturers of asbestos-based products set up trust funds to pay mesothelioma victims and avoid lawsuits. You need to file a claim with the trust to access compensation.
Asbestos trusts funds set their own deadlines for filing claims as they are not subject to state law.
Asbestos trust funds contain over $30 Billion today.
Learn how to access this money with a Hawaii mesothelioma lawyer’s help.
Asbestos Rules and Regulations in Hawaii
Hawaii has established the Hawaii Administrative Rule (HAR) to protect residents and the environment from asbestos exposure. This rule sets standards to limit asbestos use in different products. It also puts forth guidelines on how to handle asbestos waste.
Hawaii also follows the Neutral Administrative Inspection Scheme (NAIS) developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This rule ensures that all asbestos removal and containment projects are done safely.
A Hawaii mesothelioma attorney can determine if these laws may affect your case.
Asbestos Sites in Hawaii
Both shipyards and construction sites put Hawaii workers at risk of asbestos exposure. Ships and buildings relied on many asbestos-containing products before the 1980s.
Most pre-1975 building codes required asbestos fireproofing materials to be used when building metal frame, multi-story buildings.
Mesothelioma lawyers in Hawaii have recorded locations of thousands of sites linked to asbestos in the state and the rest of the county.
Asbestos sites in Hawaii include:
- Dole Company, Honolulu
- Naval Shipyard, Ford Island
- U.S. Navy Yard, Pearl Harbor
- Honolulu Shipyard, Honolulu
- Waiau Power Plant, Pearl Harbor
- Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, Honolulu
- Standard Oil, Honolulu, Barbers Point
- Chevron USA, Campbell Industrial Park
- Electric Automobile Company, Honolulu
- Paauhau Sugar Plantation, Hilo, Paauhau
- Union Oil Company of California, Lemont
- Pearl Harbor Shipyard, Oahu, Honolulu, Pearl Harbor
- Hawaiian Electric Company, Waiau Power Plant, Honolulu
- Hawaiian Commercial and Sugar Company, multiple sites in the state
Other asbestos sites in Hawaii do not appear on this list. Reach out to a Hawaii mesothelioma lawyer to learn if a job site you worked at used asbestos. Lawyers at top mesothelioma law firms also can see if you qualify for financial benefits to cover mesothelioma expenses.
Hawaii Veterans & VA Information
Hawaii is home to the world’s most famous Navy base: Pearl Harbor. This base housed around 130 ships and thousands of American service members in the 20th century.
Yet the military used asbestos to build just about every U.S. Navy ship and many military bases — including Pearl Harbor. This puts veterans at risk of mesothelioma decades after they served.
Hawaii Veterans Benefits
One-third of all mesothelioma patients today are veterans. Roughly 6,000 veterans died from this cancer between 1999 and 2005.
Veterans with mesothelioma can get help through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The agency offers a wide range of benefits and services.
VA benefits include:
- Aid & attendance
- Disability compensation
- Health care benefits
- Pension plans
The VA also works with two of the country’s top mesothelioma doctors to treat veterans.
These VA mesothelioma doctors include:
Mesothelioma Hope has no affiliation with and is not endorsed or sponsored by Dr. Robert B. Cameron. The contact information above is listed for informational purposes only. You have the right to contact Dr. Cameron directly. Visit the UCLA Health website to learn more about Dr. Robert Cameron.
The VA has medical centers and offices across Hawaii to help veterans. Learn more about the offices below by visiting the VA’s official website (va.gov).
Veterans Benefits Administration
- Honolulu Regional Office, Honolulu
VA Medical Centers
- VA Pacific Islands Health Care System
Community-Based Outpatient Clinics
- VA Leeward Community Based Outpatient Clinic (Ewa Beach)
- VA Hilo Community Based Outpatient Clinic
- VA Maui Community Based Outpatient Clinic
- VA Kona Community Based Outpatient Clinic
- VA Kauai Community Based Outpatient Clinic
- Hilo Veterans Center
- Honolulu VeteransCenter
- Maui Veterans Center
- Kailua-Kona Veterans Center
- Western Oahu Veterans Center
- Kauai Veterans Center
Veterans who have been exposed to asbestos have the right to file a VA benefits claim. Hawaii mesothelioma lawyers can organize the details of your case and gather key documents to file a claim.
Once this paperwork is in order, veterans can contact a Veterans Service Officer (VSO) to file a VA benefits claim.
AML and VFW Service Officers in Hawaii
VSOs make applying for VA benefits easier for veterans and families.
They can help veterans:
- Apply for federal and state benefits
- Draft compensation & pension requests
- Seek health care assistance
- Learn about burial & survivor benefits
VSOs work with organizations like the American Legion (AML), Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), and the Wounded Warrior Project (HOVS) to better assist veterans. These organizations have nearly 30 veteran’s service offices in Hawaii.
Veteran service offices in Hawaii include:
- American Legion
- Disabled American Veterans
- Fleet Reserve Association
- Hawaii Office of Veterans Services
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Hawaii Office of Veterans Services
- Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs (Kapiolani Street, HI)
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
Veterans with mesothelioma can reach out to these offices and connect with a VSO today. They can also contact a Hawaii mesothelioma lawyer to learn about other types of compensation.
Contacting a Mesothelioma Lawyer in Hawaii
Let some of the best mesothelioma lawyers in Hawaii help you access compensation.
Hawaii mesothelioma lawyers can:
- Determine how, when, and where you were exposed to asbestos
- File mesothelioma lawsuits on your behalf
- Secure financial benefits and compensation.
Get a free case review to see all the ways a Hawaii mesothelioma lawyer can assist you.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington DC
- West Virginia