Mesothelioma Awareness Day is celebrated annually on September 26 to support those with this deadly cancer and raise money for research, treatment, and a cure. By participating in this year’s event, you can honor those who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and show your support during an emotionally trying time in their lives.
Showing Support on Mesothelioma Awareness Day 2022
There are many ways you can participate in Mesothelioma Awareness Day 2022, from connecting with loved ones in person to participating in online fundraisers. Keep reading to learn more about how you can make an impact this year.
Attend Special Events
Each September, various organizations host activities and events to help raise awareness about this illness and to encourage donations that will be allocated toward finding a cure.
This year’s notable events include:
- John Slagle Memorial Golf Tournament: Named after a mesothelioma warrior who passed away in 2012, this year’s John Slagle Memorial Golf Tournament will be hosted at the Kilkarney Hills Golf Course located in River Falls, Wisconsin, on Saturday, September 24.
- Light the World Blue: For the third year in a row, oncology company Novocure is inviting the international community to reach out to the administrative offices of brightly lit landmarks in their neighborhoods and request that they light the facilities blue on September 26 in honor of those affected by mesothelioma.
- Miles for Meso: The 14th annual Alton Miles for Meso 5K Run and 3K Fun Run & Walk will be hosted both virtually and in person this year, with proceeds benefiting the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO).
A full list of events scheduled to take place this year can be found on the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation (Meso Foundation) website. You can also launch your own fundraiser for mesothelioma research organizations.
Visit Loved Ones With Mesothelioma
This special day is a great reminder to visit with any friends or family members who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma. Spending time with them is a precious gift that is cherished both in the moment and for years to come.
If your loved ones live far away or are receiving mesothelioma treatment in a hospital, you can call them or use a video conferencing app like FaceTime, Skype, or Zoom. Contacting your loved ones is a great way to stay connected and let them know how much you care about them during a difficult time.
Connect With Mesothelioma Groups
Notable groups like the Meso Foundation and the ADAO are celebrating Mesothelioma Awareness Day this year. These non-profit organizations were founded by medical experts and loved ones of those with mesothelioma to raise funds for cancer research.
You can help these groups by:
- Following them on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Making an online donation (both the Meso Foundation and ADAO accept donations)
- Spreading the word about these organizations and their missions
Connecting with these groups online can help them grow their donation base and promote awareness for mesothelioma.
Wear Mesothelioma Apparel
It’s an annual tradition to wear blue on Mesothelioma Awareness Day, such as blue shirts, wristbands, or other accessories. You can find these products online for purchase at the Meso Foundation’s official store.
When you have your mesothelioma apparel, you can take a picture of yourself wearing it and send it to the Meso Foundation to show your support. Remember to post your photo on social media with hashtags for Mesothelioma Awareness Day 2022.
Share Your Story
Depending on your comfort level, opening up about your own experiences with mesothelioma can help encourage and inspire others, especially if they are new to this community and are seeking comfort in a safe and welcoming environment.
You can also connect with a local news outlet and see if it can do a story about living with mesothelioma.
Stay Safe and Supportive on Mesothelioma Awareness Day 2022
By exploring the options listed above, you can raise money for mesothelioma research and help others feel less alone.
With your help and participation, this year’s Mesothelioma Awareness Day can have a positive social impact on countless individuals and families who have been affected by this disease. Your effort can make a difference and help drive donations and awareness around the world.